On average, 55% of your energy dollars are spent on heating, cooling, and water heating, according to the EnergyStar program. If you’ve ever wondered if this money is wasted, there’s an easy way to find out — a home energy audit by the experienced team at Ambient Edge.
You could be paying to heat the air that’s leaking out of your home due to inadequate insulation or gaps in insulation. You may be paying to cool the air that is seeping out of any number of small cracks or splits throughout your home. Your HVAC system may be running inefficiently, your ductwork may not be properly sealed — this all costs you money, but there are simple and cost-effective fixes. But first, you need to know where and how your home is losing energy.
Call Ambient Edge at (702) 948-7201 to schedule a home energy audit and we can provide a full assessment of how your home uses energy and where it loses energy. Then we can show you how to save money and make your home more comfortable. We have worked in the Kingman, AZ area for more than 15 years. We know the climate, we know the general designs and ages of the homes. Most importantly, we know how to help you save money.
The Importance of a Home Energy Audit
Improperly sealed windows, doors, attics, walls, and more can leak adding up to 15% to your energy bill. Your Ambient Edge home energy auditor fully examines your home — indoors and out — to determine where you’re losing energy.
Some of the areas we look at include:
- Analysis of your home’s energy usage
- HVAC systems
- Air leaks throughout the home
- Windows and doors
- Foundation, crawl spaces, and concrete slabs
- Hot water heater
We will also conduct a blower door test which consists of sealing an external entry door with special equipment and a fan. We measure the air pressure in your home to determine how leaky it is and to help us determine where those leaks are located. We thoroughly inspect your entire home and present you with a detailed and custom set of recommendations for how you currently use energy and how you can save money by saving energy. Sometimes this includes repairs or upgrades, but most of the recommendations made by our technicians are easy and very cost-effective. If we suggest any repairs or upgrades, we also share with you information on federal, state, or local rebates or incentives when installing energy-saving products or systems.
Where the Energy in Your Home Goes
By far the biggest amount of energy used in your home is for heating. Air conditioning, water heating, lighting, and refrigeration also make up a substantial portion of a home’s energy usage, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. But more than 20% of the average home’s use is on “other” items such as:
- Computers, laptops, video game consoles, and tablets
- Smartphones and internet streaming devices
- Washer and dryer
- Stoves, ovens, microwaves, and other cooking appliances
- Cable or satellite TV boxes and DVRs
Your HVAC system is a large area of focus during your home energy audit as it uses the majority of your home’s energy. But don’t worry, the most common issues we tend to find are filters that need changing and simple changes in programs or settings that can decrease your energy use! Rarely do we come across an HVAC system that we recommend completely replacing immediately. If your system is older and inefficient, we can give you a recommended timeline for future replacement and a breakdown of the costs of repairs versus a full replacement.
The good news is, in most cases, spending a few hundred dollars on household repairs and upgrades can save you hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in energy costs over time.
How to Get Ready for Your Home Energy Audit
There’s no need to do a whole-house deep clean for our technicians, but there are a few things you can do to ensure we have what we need to get the job done right.
- Close all windows and doors, but open the curtains and blinds
- Make sure there is a clear path to get to and to work around your HVAC system and water heater
- We’ll need to access your attic and any crawl spaces, so be sure we can get to them quickly and easily
- Have six to 12 months of your last energy bills (or an annual summary) on hand so we can analyze seasonal energy usage, note any fluctuations, and find any areas of concern
- Be ready with any questions or concerns you might have about your home’s energy usage or energy loss
- If you have pets, make sure they’re safely in a crate or kennel or in a place we don’t need access to – we’d hate to open your back gate while walking around your home and have your dog escape!
Call Today to Schedule an Energy Audit for Your Kingman Home
Call Ambient Edge at (702) 948-7201 or fill out the contact form. We will schedule your home energy audit then give you all the information you need about how your home uses energy, how you can save energy, and how much money you can save on your utility bills by making simple energy-efficient upgrades or changes.
Our experienced, certified technicians can answer all your questions and help you understand why a home energy audit is one of the most valuable investments you can make in your home.