Homeownership comes with chores; we all know this. While our seasons don’t change as dramatically as someone’s in Maine, we do feel the nights getting chillier as school starts back up. With the fall season comes home improvements that are necessary to keep your home in good working order – whether you live in Nebraska or Nevada.
Let’s look at some of the basic chores to accomplish in September and October.
Fall is Still a “Thing” in Nevada
In addition to pulling out your favorite college jersey, fall in Nevada is a good time to start to look at the exterior of your home with an eye toward maintenance. Here are six things you can do right now to ensure your home is protected through the holiday season:
· Clear debris — Walk around the outside of your home. If you have an excessive amount of plant debris, woodpiles, or other material, these are places where rodents and other pests, including scorpions, can hide. Make sure there are no plants obstructing your air conditioning unit.
· Caulk gaps – Now look for gaps that you can caulk with silicone. If you have air leaks around your windows, your HVAC unit is going to have to work a lot harder to cool or heat your home. Look for gaps where any pipes run into your home, such as the line from your air conditioner. Remember small desert creatures can squeeze into any tiny gaps as they seek shelter from the cooler desert nights.
· Patch sidewalks – Are your sidewalks cracking or uneven? How are the railings along the steps (if you have any)? Has the gravel washed away from any loose fill areas around your home? Now is the time to make minor repairs before they turn into big problems.
· Air filters – While you’re working on these projects, how about chaining out the air filter on your furnace? It’s also time to call Ambient Edge for your fall furnace tune-up. We can help extend the life of your HVAC and make sure you’re ready for the cooler evening temperatures.
· Gutters – We can get some torrential downpours in monsoon season, and your gutters can take a beating. If you feel safe and comfortable climbing on your roof to check the gutters, this is a good time to do it. Clean out any debris clogging the downspouts and check to be sure the gutters aren’t cracking or leaking.
· Roof tiles – While you’re up there, check your roof tiles for gaps or broken pieces. If you’re not comfortable on the roof, call a professional handy-person to help you maintain your home. Be safe!
· Clean windows – You may even want to give your windows a good cleaning while you have the ladder out. On the days when you can’t go outside, having a nice clean window on the world is a great way to lift your spirits.
Fall is a great time to consider replacing a worn out HVAC system. Call Ambient Edge for professional, friendly service. We are your partners in home upkeep. Contact us to set your fall HVAC tune-up.