Furnaces are known for their strange noises. Normal sounds you may hear are tiny little pops or hums as the furnace runs. However, when your furnace is noisier than usual or you start hearing a noise you have never heard before, this usually indicates that there is something wrong with your furnace and it may be time to talk to your heating technician about some maintenance and repairs.
Here are 3 furnace noises that you should not ignore.
1. Scraping Noises
If your furnace starts to make scraping noises, especially the sound of metal scraping metal, something is likely to lose and needs to be fixed immediately. There is probably a problem with your blower wheel. If your blower wheel is broken, you will notice your furnace not heating properly to warm your home. Any problems with your blower wheel need to be repaired by a technician.
2. Loud Pop or Bang When You Turn On Your Furnace
Here are a couple of common reasons why you may hear loud banging or popping coming from your furnace:
- Dirty furnace burners – When dirt collects on the furnace burners, this can cause a delay in the ignition, which can make gas build-up. When the burners finally ignite, you will hear a loud pop or bang. These small explosions can damage your furnace and crack your heat exchanger, which can be an expensive repair. So if you begin to hear this kind of sound, it’s a good idea to talk to a technician right away before too much damage is done.
- Expanding and contracting air ducts – If your home has metal air ducts, the ducts can expand and contract when the furnace is turned on and off. If you start hearing a popping noise, there may be some issues with your ducts that may need to be repaired such as undersized ducts, closed vents, flimsy ducts, or a clogged air filter.
3. Squealing Noises
A high-pitched squealing noise could mean a number of things, but generally, it is due to a part that needs to be replaced or fixed. Worn-out parts such as a frayed blower belt or a malfunctioning blower motor can create these noises and can cause issues for your furnace that will be more major repairs. These are generally easy fixes, but it is best to get them fixed before they cause any damage to your furnace.
Contact Us for HVAC Service in Las Vegas NV
The Benefits of Regular Furnace Maintenance
Of course, these are not the only unusual sounds your furnace can make. Whenever you hear strange sounds from your furnace, it’s a good idea to talk to a technician. Ignoring these sounds can lead to more major repairs later on. If you begin hearing them, it’s important to make sure that they are repaired as soon as possible.
Also, making sure that your technician performs regular maintenance can keep your furnace from making any strange noises in the first place. Some benefits of regular maintenance of your furnace include:
- Improved efficiency: As with any appliance in the home, regularly maintaining your equipment will ensure that everything is running smoothly. Additionally, the lifespan of your system will be prolonged, saving you money down the road.
- Enhanced safety: When something is wrong or malfunctioning with your equipment, there are dangers associated with it. In order to keep you and your home safe, regular maintenance is required.
- Top-notch air quality: Because your furnace will run through the home’s air ducts, it’s important to make sure that they stay clean and well maintained. When your system gets regularly checked, the dirt from your furnace will also be regularly cleaned, providing you with enhanced air quality throughout your home.
Ambient Edge Is the Team to Call for Furnace Maintenance!
We understand that you are no expert in HVAC units, but ignoring telltale signs of furnace deterioration is never a good option. If you are questioning what is coming from your furnace, it’s time to get help from professionals. When it comes to furnace maintenance, our team at Ambient Edge is the team to trust.
For more questions about your furnace or would like a free estimate, contact us today. We are here to assist you 24/7 and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all we do. Sit back, relax, and let our industry-trained professionals maintain your furnace.