When you run a kitchen, regularly servicing your kitchen equipment is a must. If you don’t, you can suffer a breakdown in your equipment, which can lead to lost profits when you have to close the business for a day – or more – to repair or replace your equipment. With regular maintenance, you can keep your machines running until and even past their expected expiration dates.
At Ambient Edge, we can set you up with a preventative maintenance contract so that you never have to worry about whether your appliances are being cared for. We will stop by your business twice a year to ensure that everything is running as it should. If we notice anything that seems amiss, we will also tweak and calibrate your machines to prevent minor issues from becoming larger problems. Call us at 888-628-5890, and we’ll help you get started!
How Often to Clean
To keep your kitchen equipment running as efficiently as possible for as long as possible, you must clean it regularly. Cleaning your equipment prevents a catastrophic failure that can cost your business hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars. Cleaning also helps prevent grease fires.
Here is a brief breakdown of how often you should clean the equipment in your kitchen:
- Deep Fat Fryer – Clean your deep fat fryer in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications. Once you’ve had the fryer for five years, have it professionally inspected every year for signs of potential problems.
- Vent Hoods and Ducts – Have your kitchen ventilation system professionally cleaned every six months. Wipe the outsides down between service appointments.
- Grease Filters – Typically, grease filters only need cleaning once a week. However, if you do a lot of cooking, then you need to clean them more often. In this case, a nightly clean is a great way to reduce your risk of a grease fire.
And don’t forget about your floor! A lot of businesses don’t realize that their floor is something they should keep up on too – and it’s the most used aspect of the kitchen.
Not only does the sight of a dirty floor turn off customers who expect to come to a clean place to eat, but spills and greasy spots from dropped food can quickly turn into a hazardous situation that can lead to injuries, to both your staff and your customers. Use a cleaner specifically designed for commercial kitchen floors, and don’t neglect a good scrub where necessary!
When to Replace Equipment
Even if you do everything right, even the best equipment wears out eventually to the point of no return. That’s why it’s important to recognize when you’re simply burning money in the ashtray, money that would be better spent on replacement equipment, rather than repairs. Here are some signs to help you recognize when it’s time for new equipment:
- You’re regularly spending money to repair the same machine.
- You may be able to save money by combining appliances (e.g., combi ovens).
- The machine has become a drain on your energy bill in that it is simply not as energy-efficient as it used to be.
- The machine simply doesn’t work as well as it used to.
At home, if one of the ranges on your stovetop stops working, you may just favor another range and ignore the broken one until the time comes when you’re forced to buy new. When you run a kitchen, however, think about all the food you could be making with that otherwise broken range.
If you hesitate to replace your equipment when the time comes, eventually it will force you to replace it anyway. So, you might as well replace it when you can prepare to do so, rather than in the middle of lunch or dinner hour, when you have a steady stream of hungry customers who are waiting on you for their food.
Ambient Edge Can Service Your Kitchen Equipment and Save You Thousands!
If you’re simply too busy to keep up the regular maintenance your kitchen needs to continue to run smoothly, don’t worry – Ambient Edge can help! We are proud to offer our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all our work and parts. We’re also available whenever you need us, providing emergency service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Fill out our contact form, or give us a call at 888-628-5890 to schedule a service appointment. We can also help you sign up for one of our preventative maintenance contracts so you don’t have to worry about future care for your kitchen equipment. Leave it to us, and we’ll make sure your business never suffers a crippling hiccup in service. Call us now!