AC is supposed to blow cold air—never warm or hot air. So what does it mean if the air coming out of your AC vents is toasty? It may be a sign of a serious problem—but it can also be relatively minor. Below, we’ll cover all of the most common causes, from big to small.
The Two Most Common Causes of Home AC Blowing Hot Air
If you’re getting hot air, it usually means one of two things:
- There’s a problem with the compressor or the outside unit, or
- Your AC is low on refrigerant.
Both of these problems require professional help. The compressor unit should not be opened up by someone who does not have a background in AC repair—it is easy to damage and is the heart of your AC system. Likewise, a loss of refrigerant will require a professional adding a new “charge” and checking for potential leaks.
Be aware that continuing to run the AC under these conditions can cause serious damage to the unit. Turn it off and wait for a professional.
Call (928) 263-8698 Today or Book Online for Heating and Cooling Service!
Other Causes of Hot Air from Home Air Conditioning
Not all problems are that serious. Other possible causes may include:
- The thermostat may be set in “heat” mode or the temperature may be set too high. Make sure it’s set to “cool” and turn it down to a low temperature.
- Ducts may be damaged or disconnected, pulling in outdoor air or uncooled indoor air. Unless there’s a damper you can open, this will likely require a professional.
- You may have a situation where power to the blower or fan, and indoor component, is active, but power to the outdoor compressor unit is not active. That would result in warm or hot air blowing through the vents. Double check your circuit breakers to make sure the outside unit has power. (If this happens again, call an AC professional—there could be a serious problem!)
- Airflow could be restricted to the AC unit, either because the filter hasn’t been changed recently or because dirt has build up inside the outdoor unit. Try changing your AC filter and if the problem persists, call a professional.
Get Your AC Fixed—Fast
At Ambient Edge, we know how to get AC running crisp and cold. We offer 24/7 emergency repairs and 5-star service—guaranteed. If your AC is blowing warm or hot air, don’t risk a costly emergency down the line. Give us a call and let our NATE-certified experts fix it fr you. We back all of our work with a 100% guarantee. Call us at 702-723-4704 or fill out the form to your right and speak with an AC pro today.