Whether you have an emergency and need an immediate water heater replacement or know you’ll need your water heater replaced soon, knowing how much time you’ll need to devote to the project is an important part of actually getting it done.
Your first step is to call Ambient Edge at 888-628-5890. We will walk you through the process and learn about your specific water heater needs. But if you need more information, our specialists describe here the process of water heater installation.
How to Know When you Need a New Water Heater
If you wake up to an icy shower, have to wash the dishes with cold water, and just can’t get the water to warm up, it’s a good sign your water heater has stopped working. Likewise, if there is a pool of water around your water heater or the tank is actively leaking, it’s time for a new one.
There are often warning signs that indicate your water heater is in trouble. It’s worth paying attention to these clues before the water heater stops working, leaks, or even bursts so you can avoid a messy, expensive emergency situation.
- If your water bill is higher than usual, it could be a sign your water heater is struggling and using more energy to provide hot water.
- Rusty water could be a sign that a small part simply needs to be replaced, or it could mean the inner tank is corroded and starting to rust.
- Cloudy water suggests sediment building up in the water heater tank.
- A leak might not look like much when it first starts. You may only see a little moisture or a small puddle of water.
- If your water heater is making loud or thumping noises, it can be evidence of sediment buildup and hardening.
The earlier you make the call to Ambient Edge, the more likely it is we may be able to repair your water heater instead of replacing it. If your water heater is less than 10 years old or just needs a part, a repair might be possible. If your water heater is 10 years old or more, is broken, or is clearly wearing out, it is likely time for a new water heater.
Choosing a New Water Heater
A consultation with your experienced Ambient Edge technician will help us understand your household needs and budget so we can recommend a new water heater that works for you.
Conventional storage water heaters (with reserve tanks) and tankless or on-demand water heaters are popular choices and many energy-efficient models are available, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. The average lifespan of a traditional tank model is 10 to 12 years. Tankless water heaters can last 20 years or longer.
Some important considerations include:
- The type of fuel you have available (electricity or natural gas, for example)
- Size needed – a small household will need a smaller water heater than a large household that uses a lot of water
- Water heater cost and your budget
- Energy efficiency – you may save a great deal of money on your energy bills with a highly efficient water heater model
If you are moving from one type of water heater to a different type, it may affect the installation time.
Typical Length of a Water Heater Replacement Appointment
In most common situations, it takes between two and four hours to install a new water heater. However, there are variables that can affect the length of time it takes.
Contact Us for HVAC Service in Las Vegas NV
The Removal of Your Old Water Heater
In a best case scenario, this step takes about an hour. However, if the area around the water heater is a soaked mess or if the unit is in serious disrepair, removal could take longer. Other factors that affect the removal of the old unit include tank drainage, location of the tank, and any potential difficulty accessing and disconnecting water supply lines.
You can help speed this process along by making sure the area around the old water heater is clean and clear of any obstacles.
Preparing, Connecting, and Testing the New Water Heater
If going from one type of water heater to a new model of the same type, these steps can take one to two hours. However, if you’re upgrading from a traditional tank water heater model to a tankless water heater, it may take longer to connect to water, power, and gas sources.
Our expert team will test the new unit and adjust any necessary settings.
Schedule Your Water Heater Assessment Today
If your water heater has stopped working or has sprung a leak, call Ambient Edge at 888-628-5890 right away. We have 24-hour emergency service available when needed. How much will a hot water heater cost? Not to worry. We’ll work with you to find a new water heater that is right for your household, your needs, and your budget.