What’s the biggest bill you pay related to your home? After your mortgage, there’s a good chance it’s your energy costs. Homes and commercial spaces in Las Vegas tend to pay very high prices for energy on a monthly basis. This is because of our desert climate, which makes both cooling and heating systems work hard. But how much of that heat and AC is leaking out of your home? Probably more than you think. Especially if you don’t have adequate insulation.
Ambient Edge can help you. Ambient Edge is your top-rated, local insulation installation company serving the Las Vegas area. We install high-quality insulation in homes, businesses, condos and more—and we help stop air leaks/heat leaks from your space.
Want to start saving money on your energy bills? Give us a call. Contact Ambient Edge at 702-723-4704 or fill out the form to the right and talk to an expert today.
5 Reasons to Install Energy-Efficient Insulation
According to the Department of Energy, 50% to 70% of the energy used in an average American home goes to heating and cooling. In Las Vegas, it can easily be more. And even small leaks or “warm spots” can bleed coolness out of your space—and jack up your energy bills.
Here are five of the top reasons we see homeowners install insulation:
- Attic insulation wears out over time. You might already have a layer of insulation in your attic. Does that mean you can rest easy? Yes, if the insulation is newer and is still in good shape. But insulation has a tendency to wear thin over time, leading to “bald spots” where heat (or cold air) pours through. Experts recommend replacing attic insulation roughly every 10 years.
- Little or no insulation to begin with. Many first-time homebuyers are surprised to find out how many Las Vegas homes don’t have insulation at all—or have the bare minimum. In the past, energy efficiency was not a major concern, and people felt that insulation was only for “cold” climates. The truth is that insulation helps as much with AC costs as it does with heat—and a Las Vegas winter night is no fun without insulation, either.
- Walls are not insulated. Many homes have an ample layer of insulation in the attic but nothing in the exterior walls. This is like waterproofing only half of a boat. Heat or AC can bleed out the sides almost as much as they do through the roof, and the walls themselves heat up on hot desert days. Insulation helps block that heat from shedding into your living space.
- Old insulation was not energy efficient. Not all insulation is created equal. The cost of energy-efficient insulation has come down over the years, and delivers much bigger results than what many people already have in their home.
- Rising energy costs. In general, energy costs tend to go up over time—not down. That’s doubly true if your existing insulation is older or worn out. Installing energy-efficient insulation is a way to turn back the clock and bring energy costs down.
- Exterior walls.Perhaps the single biggest reason to get good insulation is to enjoy your home—cool, refreshing AC in the summer and toasty warmth in the winter. Life is better without drafts, warm spots and constantly checking the thermostat.
Do You Know Where Your Home is Losing Heat?
Every home is different, but they all share certain weak spots where heat—or AC—are most likely to escape. Some of the most common culprits behind your energy bills include:
- Windows and doors. Most people know that drafts can come through the seams around windows and require caulking. But you may not realize the insulation in your walls can also have gaps around windows and doors. These gaps can be filled—and they’re costing you money.
- Utility access points. Anywhere a pipe, cable or utility enters the home is an opportunity for an air leak and a gap in insulation.
- Attic bald spots. As old insulation settles down it gets thin, often in some spots more than others. These “bald spots” often leave a few select spots less comfortable than the areas around them.
- Exterior walls. Many Las Vegas walls lack insulation, or the insulation that was there has degraded. That means heat “bleeds” from the sides of your home.
Of course, you don’t have to guess where you’re losing the most heat. Ambient Edge offers a comprehensive energy audit that will reveal leaks, drafts and energy problem spots.
We Do Commercial Insulation Installation
Businesses need insulation too—and the cost savings can be substantial. Large commercial spaces face staggering energy costs, and smaller retail spaces often need to pump AC at maximum during the summer. Your customers expect the comfort of cool AC, but that doesn’t mean you need to waste money. Installing energy-efficient insulation offers high ROI, and can even help extend the lifespan of your HVAC system.
We offer energy audits and insulation installation for businesses including:
- Restaurants & Bars
Our technicians use a scientific approach to determine air leaks, insulation weak points and opportunities to save energy. We base our insulation recommendations on the design of your building—and your energy goals. Give us a call and see how we can help you.
Get the High-Efficiency Installation You Need
At Ambient Edge, we stand behind every job we do with our iron-clad 5-Star Service Guarantee. We want you to enjoy cozy heat in the winter, crisp AC in the summer, and low energy bills year-round. Let us show you the difference insulation can make for your home or business. Call us at 702-723-4704 or fill out the form to your right and talk to an expert today.