You may have moved to the desert to get away from the grass, trees, and weeds that make you sneeze every fall. Or, maybe you came here because you like to gamble. You may have been expecting a sneeze-free fall season. Many people end up surprised that Las Vegas doesn’t give them the relief they’ve been searching for. That’s why we’ve come up with seven tips for helping allergy sufferers beat back the fall sniffles and take charge of their life again.
Rhinitis, and Hay Fever, and Asthma – Oh My!
A Las Vegas Sun article suggested there are several regularly flowering bushes, plants, and trees that can set people off. Mulberry trees, olive trees, and even ragweed can plague people who are allergic.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal suggests that treatment of seasonal allergies is very costly for Americans; from 2000 to 2005, the annual fees for treating these disorders went from $6.1 billion to $11.2 billion.
Whether it’s red and runny eyes or a trickle-laden nose, seasonal allergies can make you extremely uncomfortable. Some of the best ways to treat your allergies include:
· Keeping your windows shut. We know in the fall you may like to open your windows; but, don’t. Pollens can come in along with the cool air at night.
· Keep your house immaculately clean, especially if you have pets and their dander to content with. Dust and vacuum frequently.
· Change your furnace filter regularly and consider if you could afford a HEPA air filter to clean your home. Air filters can help with things like pet dander.
· You may also want to have the vents and air passages that run in the walls of your home cleaned. Over time, the piping system that circulates the air throughout your home can become clogged up with dirt, animal hair, and good old desert sand. Cleaning your ductwork will also help your furnace function more efficiently.
· You can also rinse out your nasal passages with a saline solution.
· Over the counter remedies, including antihistamines, are also helpful at mitigating allergies.
· If your allergies are really bothering, don’t let yourself suffer; go see an allergist and get tested to find out what’s making you sneeze, cough and wheeze. Your allergist can suggest a course of treatment that will help you get your life back.
Healthgrades says 10 to 20% of all Americans in every state suffer from allergies. If you live in Las Vegas, you are just as likely to be sneezing this fall as anyone else.
From pet dander to dust mites, ragweed to mold allergies can cause you to be extremely uncomfortable. There’s no reason to suffer through allergies that can be treated.
Fall Furnace Clean Up
Getting your furnace prepped for cooler weather is a part of fall maintenance in your home. Ask us about cleaning your ductwork as well, or we can discuss adding a humidifier or air filter to your existing system – or give you a quote for a new, more efficient HVAC unit. Contact us today!