The last thing you want in July or August is a furnace that blows warm air. While we know the expression is, “It’s a dry heat,” dry or wet, it is very warm in the Las Vegas desert this time of year.
Living out here without air conditioning can be pretty uncomfortable. So, let’s troubleshoot one of the more common problems we see with air conditioners this time of year.
Help, My Air Conditioner Feels Like a Furnace
Any time the air conditioner malfunctions, you should troubleshoot two things:
1. Check your thermostat to be sure it is set to “auto.” If it’s set to “on” that means the fan will circulate all the time, even if the air conditioner isn’t cooling. That can feel like warm air is circulating. So, put your air conditioner on auto to keep things cooler, and to reduce your energy consumption. Also be sure your thermostat is set to “cool” and not “heat.” Don’t laugh – it can happen!
2. Change your air filter. It’s crazy how one little air filter can cause so many problems in today’s modern Las Vegas air conditioning unit. The filter keeps dirt, dust, and debris from flowing into the unit. If the filter gets dirty because you’ve not changed it in awhile, it will restrict airflow to the condenser coils. You’ll notice your furnace isn’t cooling as well. It may cause condenser coil freeze up or make the air conditioner shut off completely.
Once you’ve tried these small home remedies, and if your unit still feels like its blowing hot air, call us right away. Ambient Edge will schedule a visit to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.
Call the Pros
One important area that Ambient Edge will look at is the condenser unit on the outside of your home. Dirt on the condenser coils is a very common problem that we can easily fix. If you schedule annual preventative maintenance on your air conditioner, we can proactively keep your unit clean. That will lessen the chance of a major breakdown later on.
Sometimes we find that weeds have grown up around the air conditioner, which blocks the airflow, causing the unit to malfunction. It’s a good idea to keep about two feet around the air conditioner clear of debris or obstruction.
If your air conditioning until still isn’t working, but these aren’t any of the problems, you could have any one of a number of problems, such as:
· A bad compressor.
· Low or leaking refrigerant coolant.
· A broken or cracked condenser.
· A return duct that is disconnected or broken.
· A frozen evaporator coil.
Las Vegas Air Conditioning Repair – Ambient Edge
Ambient Edge serves the residents of Bullhead City, Henderson, Kingman, Lake Havasu, Las Vegas, and Laughlin areas of Nevada and Arizona. We service all makes and models of air conditioners and furnaces. If your air conditioner malfunctions, call us, we’re here to help.