Indoor air quality starts with a well-maintained air conditioner. Even if you live in the southwest, spring allergies can wreak havoc on your comfort and lifestyle.
The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center says allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, occurs in about 35% of the population in the southwest. Asthma sufferers make up about 10% of the population in our region. These numbers are rising in the west, particularly in urban areas.
Many people move to the southwest seeking relief from allergy symptoms. Unfortunately, introduced non-native plant species and urban pollution all contribute to an increase in the sneezing and wheezing that many of us still experience in the springtime.
If you’re living in Nevada, Arizona, or one of the surrounding states, you may not realize how important your air conditioner is for not only keeping you cool but also keeping you healthy.
Nipping Allergies in the Bud
Itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing and difficulty taking a deep breath are all the frustrating signs of spring allergies. Even the dust that surrounds us in the desert could give rise to these miserable symptoms.
The Mayo Clinic says that your air conditioning unit can make a big difference in the amount of suffering you feel in the spring. They suggest lessening your exposure to outdoor triggers by staying inside with the air conditioning on. They also suggest:
- Removing the clothes you’ve worn outside and take a shower to remove the dust and pollens from your skin.
- Don’t hang laundry outside.
- Consider an over the counter allergy pill or visit your local clinical allergist to determine your particular sensitivities.
- Avoid outdoor activity in the morning when the allergen count is highest.
If you’re suffering from allergies in the southwest this spring, there isn’t one miracle cure for all the annoying symptoms – but a fully functioning air conditioning unit will have a huge impact on the amount of suffering you’ll experience this year.
Seasonal Allergy Checkup Starts with Ambient Edge
Seasonal allergies are nothing to sneeze at; in fact, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America says Arizona and Nevada rank surprisingly high in their top 100 most challenging places to live with allergies:
- Tucson, Arizona is number 54 on the list.
- Las Vegas, Nevada is number 78.
- Albuquerque, New Mexico is number 61.
Call (928) 263-8698 Today or Book Online for Heating and Cooling Service!
Regular maintenance on your air conditioning unit will keep it clean and efficiently functioning even during the hottest months. Homeowners can improve the functioning of their equipment by using high-efficiency filters and changing them frequently. Calling Ambient Edge for a spring tune up should be a standard part of home maintenance. Our on-site checklist includes:
- Inspection and lubrication of all moving parts.
- Testing the refrigerant level and recharging if needed.
- Inspection and calibration of the thermostat.
- Review of the blower assembly.
- Checking for rust and corrosion.
- Tightening any loose connections.
- Cleaning and changing the air filter.
When you’re ready to improve the indoor air quality in your home, contact us to find out all the ways we can help you stay comfortable this season!